”South Carolina, how challenging is it for you to refuse desserts or sweet treats? The temptation of sugar seems to be everywhere! You can learn more about sugar in this week's article. We hope you find this helpful and informative!
Watching time: 15 Minutes
- Get expert insights on why you crave and find it hard to stop eating sweet treats
- Learn new strategies to remove sugar from your diet to improve your health and wellness
- Sugar is, in part, difficult to quit eating because it is biologically addictive and acts on the same part of our brain’s reward system as drugs, such as cocaine. It also suppresses satiety signals in the brain.
- Our food environments make it difficult to quit sugar because nearly every processed food product adds sugar because it makes it more palatable and therefore more profitable.
- Our personal habits can also serve as an obstacle to quitting sugar because many of us are on auto-pilot when it comes to routines and choices around food.
- High consumption of sugar can alter the diversity and population of our gut microbiome.
- Friends and family can make it harder to quit sugar if they are not interested in pursuing a healthier lifestyle.
- Many different eating styles can help prevent an over-consumption of sugar, but the key part of all of them is the avoidance of processed foods.
More about the Expert:
What I’m trying to do at What I’ve Learned is simple: Give you novel information that is useful to daily life, based on what I’ve learned from experience and research into different topics I think are worthwhile. The concepts are intended to challenge conventional wisdom from an unbiased and logical perspective. The hard part is presenting it in an entertaining and engaging enough way that actually makes you want sit through the whole video and hopefully even apply the concepts to your daily life.